On Thu, 2 May 2024 18:34:04 GMT, Andy Goryachev <ango...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> modules/javafx.controls/src/main/java/javafx/scene/control/Labeled.java line
>> 114:
>>
>>> 112:      * by itself looks rather weird.
>>> 113:      */
>>> 114:     private static boolean useActualContentWidth;
>>
>> Even given your comment about why it's safe to use a global variable,
>> wouldn't it be cleaner to make it an instance variable? I suppose it might
>> be OK to keep it global, but only if you can show that there are no issues
>> with reentrancy.
>
> re-entrancy should not be an issue: the flag is used in the context of a
> single method which is always being called from an fx application thread.
>
> I do not want to increase the memory footprint by making it an instance
> variable.

on second thought, you are right.  we cannot guarantee that someone won't stick
a TableView as a graphic into another TableView cell.

Switched to use an ephemeral entry in `Node.getProperties()`, same as
`Properties.DEFER_TO_PARENT_PREF_WIDTH`.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1389#discussion_r1588476651