On Wed, 30 Sep 2026 21:47:57 GMT, Martin Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Andy Goryachev has updated the pull request incrementally with one 
>> additional commit since the last revision:
>> 
>>   docs
>
> I won't press the issue since my use of the manual tests is limited but it 
> still seems this PR is optimizing actions I do rarely at the expense of ones 
> I do often. But I spend most of my time working with glass code and system 
> tests so my experience might not be common.
> 
> In any case it would be good to update the issue title. Most of this PR seems 
> to be targeted at running and automating multi-test scenarios. The 
> instructions part seems to be the least of it.

> @beldenfox , I don't understand what the problem is. The bulk of change is 
> allowing the tests to use multiple classes and the ManualTestWindow. The test 
> runner and jar file are optional additions, you don't have to use them. You 
> can still run your tests one by one in the IDE, right?

I _do_ understand his concern. And it was my biggest concern as well. Today, 
you can run a test (most, not all) using the single source launcher, `java 
Foo.java`, or by doing `javac *.java; java Foo`. I know that isn't your 
preferred run environment, but it is mine. I never run the manual tests in an 
IDE.

Yes, we are gaining something as a result of this PR -- the ability to easily 
use manual test utilities that can be leveraged across all manual tests -- but 
it is a trade-off. Making it easy to run a single test is a very important part 
of mitigating the downside.

One thought I had: We could add a non-interactive Launcher that would take a 
simple class name and execute it, and then provide a shell script and bat 
script. Something like:


bash run-test.sh EmojiTest


That script would use the non-interactive Launcher using something like:


java @../../build/sdk/run.args -cp manualTests.jar 
com.oracle.test.manual.util.AppLauncher EmojiTest


This would be something for a follow-up issue, but I wanted to throw it out 
there. I think we will want something that makes running single tests as easy 
as possible before migrating the bulk of the manual tests.

-------------

PR Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/2156#issuecomment-5931588250

Reply via email to