As an update to this, I guess this is the relevant upstream bug: https://invent.kde.org/plasma/kwin/-/merge_requests/10023

On 17/09/2026 18:40, Christopher Schnick wrote:
Thanks for testing that. My Ubuntu 24.04 + Gnome is very old and not updated as it is only really a test VM for things like this, so there might be differences between the Gnome versions as there are for Ubuntu 26.

Now the KDE6 thing is then likely a bug. But are the other cases on Ubuntu 26 and macOS with MOVE documented anywhere? I understand the thing about implementation details and platform-specific behaviour, but if I as a developer don't see any cursor feedback on multiple systems, then I initially suspect this is a bug. It would be best to recommend in the docs that MOVE should not be used to guarantee cursor feedback on all platforms, especially when the dnd operation is only happening within the app itself.

On 15/09/2026 17:33, Martin Fox wrote:
(I sent my first reply from the wrong e-mail address. Apologies if you see a duplicate.)

I can reproduce this problem on Kubuntu with KDE 6. Everything works okay with KDE 5.

On Ubuntu 24.04 with Gnome I get correct cursor feedback when the cursor is over a drop destination. Anywhere else I see the closed hand (so we know we’re in drag-and-drop) but no indication of the drop operation. On Ubuntu 26 I don’t get any cursor feedback for the operation.

Normally JavaFX wants to match the OS conventions but Gnome itself is inconsistent within a given version and differs across versions. In general it’s not very good at ensuring that the cursor reflects the correct drop operation at least in file manager. In Ubuntu 26 it looks like they stopped trying.

macOS provides cursor feedback for COPY and LINK but not MOVE so the behavior you’re seeing is correct.

On Sep 13, 2026, at 1:56 PM, Christopher Schnick <[email protected]> wrote:

I just ran into various issues with the drag indicator graphic on different systems.

On my Arch system with KDE6, any drag just shows the red cross indicating that something can't be dropped. However, the drop works fine. Regardless of what kind of data is dropped or accepted. I also checked that the issue occurs in the MonkeyTester with the latest jfx commit on master.

On my Ubuntu 24.04 with Gnome and macOS 27, there is only positive indicator feedback if the mode is set to copy. The same drag operation from A to B within a JavaFX app shows correctly with TransferMode.COPY, but does not show any indicator with TransferMode.MOVE. I.e. startDragAndDrop(TransferMode.MOVE) and acceptTransferModes(TransferMode.MOVE) does not work, but for COPY it does. COPY_OR_MOVE and ANY do also work, so it seems limited to MOVE.

On Windows, everything works as expected, so it is not a general issue.

Reply via email to