I had set up a secured TLS with all the certificates and keys needed. But
still, I cannot login using SASL and PLAIN/LOGIN mechanisms over TLS. The
user in the example has the userPassword hashed in MD5. See errors below:

>ldapsearch -h localhost:9999 -Y PLAIN -w pass1 -U user1 -b
dc=my-domain,dc=com -s base -ZZ
SASL/PLAIN authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)
        additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: Password verification
failed

>ldapsearch -h localhost:9999 -Y LOGIN -w pass1 -U user1 -b
dc=my-domain,dc=com -s base -ZZ
SASL/LOGIN authentication started
ldap_sasl_interactive_bind_s: Invalid credentials (49)
        additional info: SASL(-13): user not found: checkpass failed

Using cleartext password solves the problem but this is not what I am trying
to do.
Just a reminder of what I am trying to achieve: In the database I want the
userPassword field to be hashed and the bind authentication will be against
it using the authz-regexp directive in slapd.conf. Using DIGEST-MD5 SASL
doesn't help here because the userPassword needs to be in cleartext in the
database.

Yet again, any help will be appreciated.
Zohar