I increased the logging and found this upon starting up the provider:

=> bdb_search
bdb_dn2entry("cn=accesslog")
=> access_allowed: search access to "cn=accesslog" "entry" requested
<= root access granted
=> access_allowed: search access granted by manage(=mwrscxd)
search_candidates: base="cn=accesslog" (0x00000001) scope=1
=> bdb_dn2idl("cn=accesslog")
bdb_idl_fetch_key: %cn=accesslog
<= bdb_dn2idl: get failed: DB_NOTFOUND: No matching key/data pair found (-30988)
bdb_search_candidates: failed (rc=-30988)
bdb_search: no candidates

I realised that I hadn’t created a cn=accesslog.

I’ve done that now with an ldif file, results of an ldapsearch on that entry
below,  but still get the same error.

ldapsearch -x -b dc=city,dc=ac,dc=uk cn=accesslog
version: 1
dn: cn=accesslog,dc=city,dc=ac,dc=uk
objectClass: auditContainer