On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 12:59 +0200, Nico Coesel wrote:
[snip]
> I looked at the BDM project Xiaofan posted. It seems like a good
> starting point. It also has routines for external flash. Maybe its worth
> to look into it to get some fresh ideas on the cfi implementation as
> well. I used to have a Coldfire board but we returned it because of the
> lack of proper hardware programming tools (Codesourcery has a complete
> GCC kit for Coldfire).

If someone has Coldfire hardware, I bet the community would be willing
to work with them to get it going, but it would be a lot of work.
However, that gets me wondering of opportunities to wrangle up some kind
of sponsorship for the bootstrapping phase (e.g. Google Summer of Code).
Food for communal thought.

[snip]
> Okay, I've attached a patch to cfi.c to this e-mail. Note this is a work
> in progress. It works for my situation though (Spansion flash). The
> major change I made is adding cfi_spansion_wait_write and calling
> keep_alive to avoid the usleep when calling alive_sleep(1). Sleeping the
> CPU during erase is fine, but not during programming. This still needs
> masking (bus width) and perhaps checking endianess.

Thanks!  Since I do not have CFI hardware on hand, I must leave it up to
others to review and either commit or provide feedback, but I will keep
this topic on my radar.

Cheers,

Zach