On Wed, 2009-04-22 at 20:08 +0200, Piotr Esden-Tempski wrote:
[snip]
> In earlier versions of the tree this file was generated automatically.
> Using the ./configure option --enable-maintainer-mode one can force
> the generation of doc/version.texi. I am not sure what the right fix
> here should be so I can not supply a patch to fix that.

This is odd.   First, what make target are you using?  I just tried
'make pdf' here with --enable-maintainer-mode, and it built fine for me.

Second, what versions of autoconf and automake are you using?  Perhaps
this is a known issue that affects particular versions of these tools.

So finally, have you searched the interweb for information about this
error?  It seems likely to be something that will hit projects other
than this one, and you may be able to dig up information on a cure.

If I were to bet, I would put money that your tools are old/buggy;
however, many Linux distributions allow you to choose among several
installed versions.  You might have the version you need installed and
just need to select it.

Let us know what you find.

Cheers,

Zach