Dick Hollenbeck wrote:
> Laurent Gauch wrote:

>>> />/ editors?
>>> />/
>>> />/ I load jtag.c into two different editors and get two different results
>>> />/ when tab width is set to 4.
>>> />/
>>> />/ This makes it difficult to view a table like tms_seq in the two
>>> />/ editors.  The editors are well established, JEdit and gedit.
>>> />/
>>> />/ This reminds me why in my own source code internally, we don't use tabs.
>>> />/
>>> />/ It extremely hard to mis-interpret the width of a space, and my hard
>>> />/ disk, compiler, and eyes cannot tell the difference.
>>> />/
>>> />/ What are you seeing when you look at tms_seq?  Does it look nice and
>>> />/ organized neatly into columns?
>>> />/
>>> />/
>>> />/ Dick
>>> /
>>> Looks bad in vim with ts=8 and ts=4. You can correct it for one but
>>> change to the other and it looks bad again. I tend to agree with you in
>>> this case that spaces are better for column alignment. However, not sure
>>> that this totally justifies banning tabs.
>>> -gene
>>>

>> Looks very Bad for me too.
>>
>> We should replace all TABs in all openocd files and replace by 2 or 3
>> SPACEs.
>>
>> TABs only have the advantage to make some files smaller.
>> SPACEs are spaces and ever spaces ;-)
>>
>> PS: I never use TABs, but 2x SPACES instead.
>>

> See I use 4 spaces for C,C++, and Java.
>
> So this brings us to the reason some folks thought that tabs were once a
> good idea.  That you could change the width on tabs and suit the
> personal tastes of everyone.  This only works if you restrict the tabs
> to the initial whitespace on the line.  And even then it falls down if
> there is formatting after that.  Most editors cannot do that anyway.
>
> There is no perfect solution, but I agree that spaces are superior on
> balance.
>
> It would have to be a policy decision because whitespace gets noticed by
> patches and the SVN system.  However, if there was a patch filter
> program written, then in theory patches could be passed through a filter
> before being submitted.  On check out, you could get the source in the
> form you want.  This is a variation on the theme that Harboe pointed
> at.  It could be a website where you submit the file and get it back via
> http.  This would not change the C formating, only the whitespace
> formatting.

I dont fancy the idea of having to run everything through some extra web
based filter.
> Please, let's brainstorm for awhile and give this serious consideration,
> and avoid the early injection of "the consensus is" posting that has
> tended to thwart serious discussion of potential improvements recently.
>

> Tabs are not a good solution, and I don't care if Linus likes them, I don't.

Tabs as indentation is very nice IMHO,  it makes it much easier to move
some lines inside / outside indented blocks. One tab per line instead of
4 spaces.
> Python uses spaces.

Python is perfectly happy with tabs, but bad things happens when you mix.
> Dick

Tabs for me.

Magnus