Zach,
I'm a little concerned here. I've seen many doxygen generated API
'reference' manuals. Most of them are useless because they don't
describe why a certain function is there and what its relation is to
other functions. Doxygen is a fine tool to get a list of functions and
their parameters but the same information can be obtained by importing
the source into an IDE like Eclipse or Visual Studio. I have been
digging around in other peoples software a lot. The biggest question is
always: how does the data flow through the software and why is it
structured the way it is. Unfortunately, most doxygen generated
documents don't contain this information.

A diagram which shows the logical blocks / layers of the software and
some text on how they interact is very very useful.

Nico Coesel