On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM, David Brownell <davi...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009, Ųyvind Harboe wrote:
>> - RESET is an illegal end state. It's split out as a separate thing for lots
>> of
>> reasons, including that this triggers events that listeners are listening
>> for, etc.
>
> That makes sense as a policy.  It's not enforced today
> in "irscan", "drscan", or "endstate" commands though.
>
> That seems a bit more on the "post-0.2.0" side of things.
> Though I'd not object to taking RESET out of the list
> of states that are "safe", so it triggers a warning...

RESET *could* be made a legal state from the users point of view, even if
it is handled quite differently inside OpenOCD innards.

>> - DRPAUSE makes no sense for IRSCAN as an endstate according to your
>> new and improved rules... Ditto for DRSCAN
>
> Those rules just say "don't do anything known to be broken".  But
> those transitions are legal, stable, safe -- not broken:
>
>   IRSCAN:  ... Update-IR --> Select-DR-Scan
>                --> Capture-DR  --> Exit1-DR --> Pause-DR
>   DRSCAN:  ... Update-DR --> Select-DR-Scan --> Select-IR-Scan
>                --> Capture-IR  --> Exit1-IR --> Pause-IR
>
> I don't think the API should make a policy decision to prevent
> those particular transitions, if some wierdo needs them.
>
> Let them be safe, legal, and rare ... but possible, without any
> extra roadblocks.  Folk *do* have TAP engines that respond to
> unusual state transitions.  (Although maybe all we'd really
> need to worry about is the IEEE 1149.7 ZBS ...)

How about removing the -endstate option entirely for IRSCAN/DRSCAN
and force IRPAUSE/DRPAUSE as endstates?

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services