> There is the ideal world and the real world.

>> - only 10% use both windows and Linux
>> - about 95% use FTd2xx driver (on windows or linux).
>>
>> Before talking too much about GPL issue ... bla bla bla ... we should
>> ask us some basic questions related to the success of OpenOCD project
>> itself:
>
>"bla bla bla".  You, sir, show a big lack of respect for the license.
>Normally, I would not bother reading anything else that you have
>written, since you clearly do not respect the license of the code.

>> I really think the GPL license must be respected , but we are all in the
>> same world. And this world is never IDEAL as we want!

>It seems fairly clear that you do not want to respect it.  You want an
>exception to it, which is not respect in my book.  That's disrespect for
>it and the free software community in general.

>> Is an Open Source project must  be GPL at all?
>> Is OpenOCD installed/used because it is Open Source, because it is GPL,
>> or because it works !

>I use and contribute to it because it is GPL.  Period.  OpenOCD sucks
>compared to some other tools -- you do realize that, right?  I am trying

Which tools?

>> Also, the FTD2XX is just an important part of the success of OpenOCD !

>Let's ask a more fundamental questions:  Why should I care about what
>you think in these matters?  What have you done for the community lately
>to earn our respect?  Almost without exception, I have seen you

Since when comes respect with a larger 'thingy'? Lets not get into a pissing
contest. Discussions based on smarter, bigger, larger, more, faster, better,
etc go nowhere. Lets keep playing the ball.

>I find these facts shockingly embarrassing for someone selling products
>and thus profiting from the open source community's work.   Personally,
>I think you should be ashamed of yourself and your behavior; you help
>show the opposite of what an ideal free software contributor is.
>Reality does suck for us idealists; that does not mean we are wrong.

I agree the JTAG dongle vendors could throw in some joint effort to make
OpenOCD work within its license.

>Look, your past contributions to this project were appreciated, but
>nothing gives you the right to try to tell other developers how to
>manage their copyrights for the OpenOCD project.  OpenOCD is GPL.  That
>is reality, and you need to suck it up and deal with it.  As I have told
>others, there are viable solutions, but there is absolutely zero chance
>that I will change my mind on this issue -- and that ends _any_ chances.
>
>You might as well be talking to a stone wall.  You will change nothing.

And here is the exact reason why the JTAG vendors are not going to put effort
into OpenOCD. A marriage works both ways!

I know I promised to contribute some go-along-the-road driver development
documentation. The task of creating a driver for an FPGA JTAG accellerator is
on my plate. However at the present I'm not sure if I'm willing to contribute
any more. I'd rather contribute to an OpenOCD fork that is geared towards
allowing as many people possible to use OpenOCD as conveniently as possible.

Nico Coesel