Øyvind Harboe a écrit :
>> I adapted the zylin plugin to Linux and it works fine. As is it had serious
>> issues.
>>

> Could you explain what issues you found?

The binaries published years ago don't work unless you use some old 3.2
Eclipse and there are no new binaries published.
The source doesn't not compile at all. It requires some simulator stuff
which seems to be some proprietary crap not provided with the source.
I clean that crap out and in the process makes it more lean by removing
the useless windows and mac stuff.

My goal is to have something that works well on Linux. I have never seen
anyone making any effort to support different Linux distributions
correctly so
I chose to make my own plugins.

My plugins are a customized Linux only version of zylin plugin and a
modified version of gnuarm plugin which seems to be a windows only
plugin despite the false claims that it was also meant for Linux.
I have not added anything to the zylin plugin, just removed useless crap
and changed the default name for the debugger to arm-elf-gdb, the
default of gdb is rather ridiculous to say the least. I haven't made a
real fork since I have not really had any need for added functionality
to it yet. I am always willing to provide the source for my plugin when
someone asks for it.
For the gnuarm plugin it is a different story. I found it rather useless
as is since it lacked some important flags for the cortex devices that I
use. I also didn't like names used for the different packages since it
took too long to create new projects. I will eventually add more
functionality to it.

My plugins are customized versions for Linux for me and those people
like me who have no use whasoever for windows or mac. It is not meant to
be a replacement for zylin or anything similar, just a custom version
that is tested on Linux and is sure to work on Linux. I have tested on
several version of Linux RPM based systems as well as a couple of Ubuntu
distributions..
I provide a document that explains you in details how to get a
development system working. So far most people who have read and and
told me about it seemed quite satisfied. Someone has some issues on
Ubuntu 8.04, I think he has some missing libraries. I just hadn't had
time to deal with this one yet. Everytime I think I got some time to
deal with it something else more important comes up.
Someone has a neat document that only supports windows. He says clearly
that the zylin plugin that he uses is not able to use gdb, he uses insight.
Many people who write to me on the subject have never been able to get
it to work with arm-elf-gdb on  Linux until they found my plugin.
> If you have found bugs for which you have patches I'm sure others would
> appreciate if you posted your fixes.

When you get to the zylin website it is obvious that only windows is supported.
If I find actual bugs I will see if I can find a way to fix them without
breaking anything and will make sure to let someone know. I don't know if
missing parts can be considered as bugs and I don't think that the maintainers
of the zylin plugin would be willing to remove the part that I consider useless
crap.

Michel

--
Tired of Microsoft's rebootive multitasking?
then it's time to upgrade to Linux.