On Wed, Aug 5, 2009 at 10:56 AM, Jon Beniston<j...@beniston.com> wrote:
> Hi David,
>
>> To handle syscalls ... use a GDB server (or stub)
>> running native in that OS.  Not on bare metal, not talking over JTAG.
>
> But that could use up precious resources that you might not have (memory and
> I/O). Also, why should you have to switch to software based debugging (Which
> might not be as reliable as JTAG h/w debug), just because you want to use
> File I/O while debugging?

What do you believe other OpenOCD users could use such
file IO for?

I have used it in the past when running test suites that require
test large vectors & writing back test results that don't fit/should
not be stored on the target but rather the GDB host. Not the
sort of thing that I expect the vast hordes to do, but definitely
the savvy OpenOCD hacker could do such a thing.

W.r.t. the patch, I haven't looked at it yet, but I'm intrigued. I
recall that the whole debug_reason scheme in OpenOCD didn't
leave me with a warm fuzzy feeling though.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services