On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Michael
Schwingen<rincew...@discworld.dascon.de> wrote:
> Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>> Crazy idea:
>>
>> - write a small C app for the target that goes along with board config file
>> - this .elf file is loaded by OpenOCD
>> - use built-in ARM simulator to execute fn's in that .elf file
>>
> What advantage does that provide?
> You need a disassembler to view the effective board-init sequence, you
> need a cross-toolchain to modify the code, in comparison to just
> changing a script file.

You can use the header files for the target file without having to
port the existing C code to OpenOCD init code.

One way to sidestep writing init sequences that I use, is to write a small piece
of code to flash (somehow, possibly very slowly without working memory),
run u-boot, or somesuch. then I reset run + halt the CPU and issue a "load" to
load an application into RAM.

I prefer a nice crisp self-contained init sequence to the above approach
any day though.

--
Øyvind Harboe
Embedded software and hardware consulting services