At 02:48 PM 9/3/10, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
>>Shooting from he hip: what about the offset to gdb's "load" command?

The short answer is "I didn't know that gdb's load HAD an offset".

The longer answer is that gdb may be invoked by Eclipse, Insight, CodeBlocks etc. In that case, specifying an offset is at best yet another configuration step that must be done. At worst, the GUI may not support adding such parameters.

The syntax of load with an offset is also a bit annoying: Normally, the tools invoke gdb specifying the file to be debugged. Then the GUI issues gdb commands like
        target remote localhost:3333
        load

To specify an offset on the load command, I have to re-specify the file
        load mypath/myfile.elf 0x8000000

So the configuration string now depends on the program being debugged.

Best regards, John Hartman
        NoICE Debugging Tools
        http://www.noicedebugger.com