On Mon, Aug 15, 2011 at 6:21 PM, Andreas Fritiofson
<andreas.fritiof...@gmail.com> wrote:
>  > +if test -f $srcdir/guess-rev.sh ; then
> Great, but you should probably check if it's executable instead of just a
> regular file.

I considered if we should check this. But I finally decided it would
be better to just check if it's a regular file. my reason is:

We decide if we are building for release or not by the existence of
guess-rev.sh, not by the existence of an executable guess-rev.sh. So

1. guess-rev.sh exists and is executable: checking regular file is
same as checking executable file.
2. guess-rev.sh does not exist: checking regular file is same as
checking executable file.
3. guess-rev.sh exists but is not executable: there must be something
wrong. If we check regular file, user will be given an error when
guess-rev.sh is going to be executed on compiler time. If we check
executable file, building for release is assumed and user will notice
it only in run time.

Regards,
Jie