Michel Catudal wrote:
>> I am personally very strongly against depending on companies based in
>> the US for open source project infrastructure. I find there are quite
>> significant drawbacks, due to stupid US law and/or due to the service
>> being provided by a business with a clear agenda, which makes it an
>> impossible choice for any self-respecting open source project.
>> Already the very very first condition of github terms and many others
>> completely rule it out IMO:
>
> The anti-American stand is pure stupidity. Find better arguments to
> discredit any site.

I think you misunderstood. It does not matter that a service provider
is American, it matters that the service provider is bound by US law,
because that means that the service can only be made available under
silly terms. I tried to make this clear with the example.

> As for assuming that an American company is likely to be anti
> opensource, it is ridiculous.

The purpose of every company in every country is to generate profit
for the company, which is in some cases perfectly compatible with the
aim of a given open source project, and in other cases not so much.
In any case, how the company purpose expresses itself can change
quickly, while self hosting has none of these problems and great
technical advantages in addition.

> Some people should stick to facts and stop taking their information
> out of their behind.

Yes, calling someone stupid and ridiculous is much better.

> Having worked on project for Sourceforge for many years I think
> that Sourceforge is one of the best site for Open Source

It's unclear what you mean here, but I think you mean that you worked
with development of SF infrastructure.

As I already wrote, large operators benefit from economy of scale.
For the case of SF mailing lists and the FRS (SF download hosting) I
think it is a great move to allow our project to take advantage of
this. But I think that the SF services that require a user account
are not nearly open enough for a project that wants to call itself
open.

Sorry if you are offended by this opinion.

//Peter