### Editor's Note ###

Hi, friends! Hope your week is off to a wonderful start.

This fine Tuesday, Jim Whitehurst offers his perspective on the nature
of long-term planning in an era of digital transformation. Prognosis?
Not good: "In today's volatile and uncertain world, our ability to
predict and define strategic positions is diminishing—because the pace
of change, the rate of introduction of new variables, is accelerating.
Classic, long-term, strategic planning and execution isn't as effective
as it used to be."

Lots to chew on here, especially if you're currently working through
your team's annual strategic plan.

–B

### New Today ###

Jim Whitehurst: "Try, learn, modify: The new IT leader's code"

https://opensource.com/open-organization/18/2/try-learn-modify

red.ht/2osXXGX

Sample social media:

As the pace of innovation increases, long-term planning is becoming more
and more difficult. Let's rethink the way we respond to change."
@JWhitehurst red.ht/2osXXGX #TheOpenOrg

"We need to come up with a different solution for optimizing
organizations for a very different economic era, one that works from the
bottom up rather than the top down." @JWhitehurst red.ht/2osXXGX #TheOpenOrg

"We need to cultivate environments that encourage creative trial and
error, not unyielding allegiance to a five-year schedule." @JWhitehurst
red.ht/2osXXGX #TheOpenOrg

"If long-term planning is dead, then long live shorter-term
experimentation." @JWhitehurst red.ht/2osXXGX #TheOpenOrg

### Previously Published ###

Ron McFarland: "Designing a system that helps the best ideas win"

https://opensource.com/open-organization/18/3/dalio-principles-1

First day page views: 187

### Traffic ###

Page views yesterday: 540
Page views from Twitter: 24
Total page views for the month: 2,678

### Downloads ###

Workbook downloads: 2
Workbook downloads for the month: 25

Guide to IT Culture Change downloads: 2
Guide to IT Culture Change downloads for the month: 11

Leaders Manual downloads: 4
Leaders Manual downloads for the month: 13

Catalyst-In-Chief downloads: 1
Total Catalyst-In-Chief downloads for the month: 6

Field Guide downloads: 2
Total Field Guide downloads for the month: 13