On Thu, Mar 06, 2003 at 02:11:47PM +0100, Michael Schloh von Bennewitz wrote:
>On Wed, Mar 05, 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> Is there any standard in openpkg for placement of jar files?  I'm building
>> a package for mysql-connector-java, JDBC support for mysql, and want to use
>> CLASSPATH to point to a directory in an openpkg instance.  My first cut put
>> it in %{l_prefix}/lib/mysql-connector-java/, but I think it might better be
>> in some place like %{l_prefix}/lib/java/...
>>
>There's no standard so let's make one ;-) %{l_prefix}/lib/java/ is generic and
>makes sense to me. If nobody complains, then it's the new CLASSPATH standard
>and will be documented as such.
>
>There are already some jar files installed to %{l_prefix}/libexec/j2se/, but I
>think we need to leave those there (Sun has their own standard for where to
>find things.) I ponder symlinks to %{l_prefix}/lib/java/, though.

Sounds good to me.

One problem I ran into after posting this yesterday is that StarOffice and
OpenOffice ignore the CLASSPATH environment variable requiring manual
configuration of the classpath through the GUI or having the jar files
installed in system directories.  Personally I think this is a Bad Idea(tm)
unless the object is to make it as inconvenient to use as typical Windows
software.  Using CLASSPATH works even with multiple JREs on the system
while SO/OO makes life much more complicated.

Bill

``Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on
your computer.''  --Bruce Graham
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]