On Sat, Jul 19, 2003 at 02:35:02PM +0200, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Sat, Jul 19, 2003, Matthias Kurz wrote:
>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > Yes, I plan for a with_shared option which all packages can support.
>>
>> I hope not in a way that one has to specify "-Dwith_shared=yes" for
>> each and every package.
>
>You don't have to, just add "%with_shared yes" to your ~/.rpmmacros file
>and you'll be done. And with "openpkg-tool"'s build command you also
>have to specificy it just once: for building of all packages and then
>it's sticky. I think it has to be an "%option" and not something else
>special, because currently all those things are "%option"s in OpenPKG...

It seems to me that it's probably best to continue to limit shared
libraries to those packages that really need them to work with non-openpkg
programs (e.g. unixodbc, myodbc) or that must be built with shared
libraries to enable other openpkg packages (perl and the postgresql perl
support).  If all packages that could have shared libraries built were
modified to allow this, I would probably specify the default to be off, and
turn it on for individual packages in my ~/.openpkg/build file.

Bill

My brother sent me a postcard the other day with this big satellite photo
of the entire earth on it. On the back it said: ``Wish you were here''.
                -- Steven Wright
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]