On Thu, Dec 04, 2003, Ralf S. Engelschall wrote:
>On Thu, Dec 04, 2003, Bill Campbell wrote:
>
>> While rebuilding a number of packages today, I ran into a problem where the
>> rebuild failed because it couldn't log into our anonymous ftp server.  It
>> turned out that there were too many ftp users at the time.  While I was
>> tracking this down (and nuking a bunch of cracker types who were attempting
>> to find misconfigured servers to exploit :-), I noticed that the
>> ``rpm --rebuild ftp://...'' processes were leaving zombie sessions open.
>
>You mean your forked off FTP server processes stay around as zombies?
>What FTP server are you using? At least with ProFTPD (which we usually
>use everywhere) I've never seen this behaviour.

We're using an up-to-date version of wu-ftpd, largely because
I've got it tuned the way I want, and haven't had the time to
figure out how to accomplish the same things with ProFTPD.

I just tried manually accessing our server using ncftp, and it doesn't
recognize the ABOR command at all.  It appears to be waiting for a tcp
timeout. from the rpm processes.

>> A bit more log parsing showed that after the RETR command, the next
>> command is ABOR, not QUIT as I would expect.
>
>In RPM's CHANGELOG there is only:
>
>| 2.5.5 -> 2.5.6:
>|   [...]
>|   - attempt ftp ABOR on query/verify url's.
>|   [...]
>
>And according to the RPM rpmio/rpmio.c, the ABOR is only
>sent in its ftpAbort() function and this function
>is called only in this context:

>This doesn't correspond very well to the CHANGELOG entry. Anyway, it
>seems to send ABOR on non-finished transmissions when the read channel
>was already closed. OTOH "QUIT" is not send at all in the code.

I'm not current on the ftp specs, but at least two anon ftp servers I just
tried don't recognize ``ABOR'' or ``abor'', and only recognize ``quit'' in
lower case.

Bill

``It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees!''
    -- Emiliano Zapata.
Developer Communication List                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]