On Mon, May 03, 2004, Mike's List wrote:
> On Mon, 3 May 2004, Bill Campbell wrote:
>> On Mon, May 03, 2004, Mike's List wrote:
>> I have a fairly crufty package that we're using, and is available
>> for download from our anon-ftp site, ftp.celestial.com:
>>
>> /private/ftp.openpkg.org/release/2.0/SRC/courier-imap-1.5.3-20040429.src.rpm
>
> Cool, got it, thanks.  Why not upload courier build to ftp.openpkg.org?
> I think the UPD directory is for others to contribute package/build?

No, the UPD directories of a release contain updates caused by security
advisories or bug fixes deemed important enough. You are probably thinking
of the ftp://ftp.openpkg.org/contrib/00UPLOAD directory which can be used
for uploading such packages as the courier server.

In many cases the package will be cheerfully accepted and integrated into
the main OpenPKG sources and packages archives. Nevertheless should the
files (*.spec, rc.*, *.patch) not comply with OpenPKG standards (use the
development tools like speclint or rclint to learn this), then the
corresponding package contribution will either be modified to comply or
rejected outright.

>> BTW:  I much prefer the Courier Maildir to Cyrus' method.  It's far easier
>> to maintain as one can use standard *nix tools without worrying about
>> dealing with the proprietary Cyrus database.
>
> I heard sometime Cyrus' own dbase would corrupt, or the user's quota
> would disappear and this is on a stable version release.  Cyrus would
> break on average of once a week or such but it does have some nice
> features for scalability (though not via NFS).

No, at least the version I'm running (2.1.16-20031127) is both stable and
efficient. The version in the Kolab package is likewise so.

Although I haven't confirmed this, it seems that the Cyrus project changed
their storage format (hierarchy renames and/or new db features) between
versions 2.1.16 and 2.2.3. This could cause trouble for the admin with no
backups, and is the reason that I haven't upgraded yet. Anyone installing
for the first time should have no problems using the newest Cyrus IMAP
package.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Development Team, Operations Northern Europe