On Wed, Sep 21, 2005, Andreas Schmidt wrote:

> i just tried to install tomcat-adapter-5.5.11-20050822.src.rpm from
> current. rebuilding the binary packages as the openpkg instance's
> "manager-user" worked just fine, but when i tried to install the binary
> package i got the following error:
>
> error: unpacking of archive failed: cpio: lstat failed - Permission denied
>
> and i was left with an uncomplete installation of the package.
>
> it seems, that the package tries to install some files for the
> restricted openpkg-user. and since owner-modification is only permitted
> for root, but not for the openpkg-instance manager, installation fails.
>
> after repeating the installation as root, everything was fine.
>
> but this leads to my questions: shouldn't the instance-manager-account
> be allowed to install new packages? otherwise i see no possiblity to
> make individual users their private openpkg instance.
>
> if this was an error of the tomcat-package, is there a way to check a
> package-installation to avoid the risk of a corrupted openpkg instance?
> or some "transactional"-mode?

No, everything is ok. For building the management user is ok, but
for installation one always uses root. The only exception is in
intentionally non-privileged OpenPKG instances. There only the
management user exists, but OTOH there one inherently cannot use all
packages, of course.
                                       Ralf S. Engelschall
                                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                       www.engelschall.com