I don't have anything fancy, but I use packages from many of the openpkg releases to create my own set of tools.  For example, I might use gcc from 2.4 release, many things from 2.5 release and some misc stuff from current.  I have some cpp code that reads a list of packages and pulls the xml chunk from the 00INDEX.rdf file and adds it to a new xml tree.  Basically works like an xml filter, allowing me to combine the 00INDEX files to create a custom release structure.  I can package up my filter code if it sounds like something you might be able to use.  Adding my own rpms if pretty easy, I just maintain my own 00INDEX.rdf file with the info for my custom packages and modify the top-level 00INDEX file to point to it.  You may want to bzip2 -d 00INDEX.rdf.bz2 and see what they look like.  The 00INDEX.rdf files don't have to be compressed to use, so I usually just leave them as xml so I can tweak easily.

-later

On 3/24/06, Olaf Mersmann <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
* Ralf S. Engelschall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [060322 08:19]:
> On Wed, Mar 22, 2006, Dietrich Bollmann wrote:
> > Is there some installation management tool like 'yum' for dealing with
> > rpm package dependencies?
>
> Yes, install the "openpkg-tools" package. It provides an "openpkg build"
> tool which is able to fetch the RDF index files from the FTP service and
> automatically resolve dependencies. Run "openpkg man build" for details
> after installing "openpkg-tools".

`openpkg build` works well on a system which actually build source
packages, but I've find it annoying, that it will install (and
uninstall) build dependencies even if a current binary package is in
the RPM repository. Is there a way to change this behavior or am I
doing something seriously wrong?

I'd also love to see a tutorial on the 'right' way to build custom
source repositories. Specifically I'd like to know the 'proper' way to
create an overlay to the official source repository.

On another note: I noticed both yum and urpmi are in -current but
neither would build out of the box for me on Debian 3.1 or Solaris
10. Is anyone using these? Is there any interest in getting them to
work within the OpenPKG framework?

-- Olaf
The OpenPKG Project                                     www.openpkg.org
User Communication List                      openpkg-users@openpkg.org