I wanted to report on my experience installing openpkg on ubuntu 8.10. The
main issue was the compiler upgrade to gcc 4.3. I was able to install gcc
4.2 and do a bootstrap by specifying the compiler explicitly.

The real issue came when I wanted install other packages after the
bootstrap. It doesn't seem easy to override the compiler of all of the
various packages, so I had to do a little tweak. I uninstalled gcc4.3 and
made a symbolic for gcc and cc and then everything built just fine.

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2008-11-05 23:42 /usr/bin/gcc -> gcc-4.2
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 2008-11-05 23:43 /usr/bin/cc -> gcc-4.2

I didn't uninstall these links after building gcc, so I don't know if all of
the other packages would install okay without the symbolic links at that
point (they should, I assume).

Would it be possible to add gcc to the bootstrap process to alleviate this?
Either that, or having the binary bootstraps available.

BTW, the documentation should be fixed to remove the binary bootstrap
instructions (unless the binaries will be coming back at some point).

-Dave