In my (much simpler) design, the IScene won't even need to be on the
interface. All that is needed is for the core (Scene loader) to
provide the OnNewScene and OnRemoveScene events. In my example, I
placed those on the interface, that was actually not needed at all.

I do believe that the registration to scenes should be done by a
piece of boilerplate code int he module itself, and not
automagically. The automagical registration leaves no room to expose
a _different_ interface to the scene from what is exposed to the
application. Since many application level methods would be useless
to Scenes and may be harmful, and vice versa, the two-interface
approach I outlined seems cleaner.

In the simplest case:

MyApplicationModule : IApplicationPlugin
{
IApplicationPlugin members
}

Nothing special there, clean and simple

Then, if we want to be notified about scenes to register to them,
grab the region loader interface:

IRegionLoader loader =
application.RequestModuleInterface<IRegionLoader>();

and _then_ hook from there:

loader.OnNewScene += OnNewSceneHandler

Which doesn't have to be on any interface.
It would just be a class member:

private void OnNewSceneHandler(IScene scene)
{
}

and that could then call the interface registration method

That is clean, doesn't push Scenes into modules that don't want
them, allows exposing interfaces to Scenes with a minimum of
boilerplate, and has no automagic that is hard to understand or brittle.

Melanie