If we ran a profiling with this cache maybe we could see where the
bottle neck is, couldn't we?

Mono has simple statistical profiler that shouldn't be too intruding:

$ mono --profile=default:stat program.exe

If anyone who saw this performance loss could test this, would be
interesting to see where it's spending all this extra time.