*> The scourge here in the US are the "patent whores" who make *
*>a business model of doing little more than patenting as many *
*>ideas as they can and then sit and wait for someone else*
*> to implement an idea and then slam them with a lawsuit for *
*> "intellectual property rights infringement." *

Yep, the "DivX, Inc." folks are nothing but a team of lawyers, that sit
around attempting to steal/use/trademark the "DivX" name (which was used
decades earlier and even used by Circuit City, and others (with "DivX" DVD
players, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIVX_(Digital_Video_Express)

Then some slick lawyers decided to try and create a new "DivX, Inc."
company, and then attempted to trademark the name (quietly) and then now
they just sit around suing anyone that uses the word "DIVX" and sue any
hardware or CE manufacturer that refers to a "DIVX" dvd player, or even any
type of OpenDivX or XVID (based on OpenDivx) codec.

So those clown lawyers just sit around suing (and sending out threatening
letters) all day and that's how they make their money.  Seems to be a very
profitable business, just suing people (and charging "royalties" just to use
the word "DivX".

I'd really like to see a legal challenge against them, just to see them end
up on their heads and watch them lose any rights to the actual DIVX name.

Just because they have deep pockets, and paid a large sum of money to
acquire the "DIVX.COM" website, doesn't mean they were the first to use the
word (or name) "DIVX".

But this is how the system works, and that's how they make their money.
 Just suing people.

They used their deep pockets to "create a story" about some kid they found
that was willing to claim to be some hacker, that had used the word "Divx"
on his pirated/hacked/illegal code (that was actually Microsoft's code) and
this is their concept behind their trademark claims.  (Even though the divx
name was widely used by hackers, and others in the community that referred
to "divx" as being ripped movies done by pirates) and that name was being
used for almost 8-12 years prior to this silly hacker clown (who the rich
lawyers claim that they "purchased" the rights to use the name from).  What
a bunch of nonsense.  It's just a bunch of deep pocketed lawyers that tried
to create a "trademark" out of a common word/name, that everyone uses, just
so they can sue people.

As far as products, they just use their deep pockets, and buy out some small
tiny company (that designs some type of codec) and then they call it their
own product.  It's such a joke.  DIVX isn't even a codec, it's simply an
open source project (OpenDivx) that is now defunct, and turned into the
"XVID" project.  The DIVX lawyers just make all their money from suing
others, and charging royalty fees to use the "DIVX" name (which really isn't
even theirs to begin with).  That's their business model, suing others, and
charging to use a name that isn't even theirs.

*> It baffles me how anyone would allow such lawsuits to make *
*> their way through the system.*

The judges and politicians are just as crooked.  Here in Chicago, we have
Senate seats going up for sale to the highest bidder.  ;-)

Both of our last 2 governors are in prison, and our mayor is a mob boss that
hands out political favors to the unions in exchange for extra votes (vote
early, vote often, vote 2 or 3 times if you wish...).  Typical Chicago
Politics.  No name, no drivers license?  Are you an illegal?Have you been
deceased for 12 years?  Your vote still gets counted.  Over 15-20% of the
deceased in Chicago still vote each year.  The whole system just makes you
laugh.

*>  I can sue a fast food chain if my coffee is too hot.  Maybe *
*> that's why they now offer "iced coffee"  ?*

Well that's why you have the words "CAUTION HOT" on the lid and on the cup
now.  That's nothing, what about the lady who sued because she was "burnt"
by a "hot pickle"?

The silly nonsense we have in this country.  It's out of control.

If you don't have the common sense to understand that coffee is hot, then
you're nearly too stupid to be human.  What ever happened to "Darwinism"?
 What happened to that failed theory?  Weren't the stupid ones supposed to
die off or something?  Why does it seem like they always end up getting
elected to public office, or end up leading this country?  Or becoming a
governor or mayor?

*> her defense was that her mother was not a native English *
*> speaker*

Yeah, she settled for a half a million, and then they had to put the words
"CAUTION: HOT" in spanish on the lids now too!

Oye, what a country.  It just amazes me.  I can't believe the nonsense with
our judicial system.  The whole patent system really needs to be abolished
though.

The Chinese are reverse engineering everything they can get their hands on
(and laughing at us) and it seems to be working out VERY well for them.  The
only people hurt or affected by silly U.S. patents are the Americans and the
U.S. businesses.

Supposed we need to move to India or China, just to get away from this whole
mess.  Those outside the U.S. don't seem to care about U.S. laws, and they
don't have to deal with (or care about) the silly nonsense of the U.S.
patent and court system.  The whole system is a circus.  It needs to be
abolished and done away with.  5 year maximum on patents (and maybe we also
need 4 year rotating term limits on politicians and judges).  That might
help fix some of the corruption problems we have.  Plus stop ALL campaign
contributions from special interest groups and large corporations.  I can't
pay off a police officer who enforces the law (because that would be
considered "illegal"), but it's perfectly ok for large corporations to use
campaign contributions to bribe and pay off the politicians that CREATE the
laws?  I guess that makes a lot of sense.

The whole patent system is messed up.  Give them 5 year maximums on patents
(on physical inventions that you can touch and hold), and after that it
becomes public domain.  Abolish the DMCA completely.  Source code is still
protected under copyright, enuff said.  :-)

              Mark