On ke, 2010-08-04 at 21:38 +0100, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

Thanks a lot for reporting this adventure!

> to be working fine.  However, using the OSD representation of MediaEntry got
> complicated and so I would rather implement
> dynamic attributes separately to reduce complexity.

So how would you go about it?

> Sorry for the tl;dr but I think that this is a very interesting area.  If we
> could also save the dynamic attributes to
> persistent storage (rather than breaking them up into separate columns) and
> have a script infrastructure where functions
> can be dynamically defined then we could be some of the way to properly
> separating SL modules and core.  Core could be
> separated out as a content neutral component rather than as part of an
> ever-expanding monolith.

Do you mean this is essentially the only sane way? I don't quite see why
the script infrastructure would need to change to allow storage for
other uses, but this is probably due to not reading all of the post
properly yet (sorry) :p

Would Adam's SOG/SOP refactor plan be essientally what you're thinking
here, or do you see this somehow differently? I don't recall him needing
to touch script infra etc. to begin with.

We need this quite critically for RealXtend, not only because extend the
scene for core functionality, but have worked for long now to allow
arbitrary data in custom apps that anyone can write for the platform.
I'm sure there are good ways to collaborate to get this done somehow --
Adam has told that his work is taking a long time still, so perhaps
others like our team & you and other devs can speed things up.

> Justin

~Toni