If you're talking about serving assets over HTTP (rather than UDP) from a MySQL store via the simulator then this is already being done by viewers which support assets over HTTP.

If you're talking about service assets directly from the asset service (which in turn gets them from the mysql database) rather than relaying them through the simulator, then I believe this is possible through current OpenSimulator but black magic to set up - it's not something I have done.

If you're talking about storing assets in something other than a MySQL database then third party services such as SRAS and SimianGrid store assets on the filesystem instead.