I believe the mesh upload is all (or mostly) done via Caps so there would
be few, if any, UDP packets involved. If you were doing this in SL then the
viewer would convert the mesh to the LL format, send it to the sim where
the sim would calculate the cost and notify the viewer and then the viewer
would display it. The viewer does not compute cost at all, it's entirely
done server side. Since OpenSimulator has no implementation, no cost is
sent back to the viewer. It would require a viewer modification to remove
the cost from the uploader.

If you are seeing excessive uploading delays with very large meshes it's
possible your mesh is too large or there is a viewer bug. I believe meshes
are limited to 65536 vertices and I'm not sure about triangles but I've
seen rez failures on some viewers with meshes with more than 32767
triangles. If your mesh is larger than that then you may be reaching some
internal limitation in the viewer you are using, and if you do succeed in
uploading it, other viewers may fail when trying to display it. If your
mesh is not that large then I'd probably try a different viewer just to
make sure it's not something in that particular viewer you are using.