As for database column names, I would dearly love them to be consistent. Other code shouldn't really be operating on OpenSimulator database tables directly but should go through Robust/OpenSimulator external interfaces, though I know the right interfaces aren't always currently available. I'm also not convinced that column renaming would be an expensive migration.

I believe that eventually column names have to be reasonably consistent if OpenSimulator is to be taken seriously by the wider development community as a project. However, I also don't think that this is a point worth fighting over right now.

[1] https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/stable_api_nonsense.txt

On 25/10/13 18:25, Adams, Robert wrote:
-1

As someone who has several external modules and knowing of several different
external projects that directly access the
database, the names should not change. I’d bad enough with Justin ‘cleaning up’
public interfaces of OpenSimulator classes.

While strange naming is irritating and would be cleaner if modified, don’t
change things just to make them prettier.

-- ra

*From:*opensim-dev-boun...@lists.berlios.de
[mailto:opensim-dev-boun...@lists.berlios.de] *On Behalf Of *ssm2017
*Sent:* Friday, October 25, 2013 6:23 AM
*To:* opensim-dev@lists.berlios.de
*Subject:* [Opensim-dev] database fields names

hello

what do you think about the idea to take the opportunity for 0.7.8 to unify the
database tables names ?

for example, the uuid of a user in UserAccounts is PrincipalID, in the Presence
table, this is UserID and in auth
(without capitalization) this is UUID...

Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc