If it's more than a handful of days, interested developers can just take
the last known good commit and fork it off to continue mainstream
development of other parts of the simulator that are not directly impacted
by region crossing (admittedly the region crossing stuff is likely to touch
a LOT of code, so that could get dicey). Honestly, I would have preferred
to see this done in a branch rather than breaking master, but if this
temporary breakage allows the feature to land in master faster, that's
probably a net win.

...Unless we're down for weeks or months, in which case, a fork would be
well-justified for those who just want to apply a simple bug fix or
something without consideration of this region crossing feature.