I expected the OSSL works also with UUID you get from sensor. llGetObject details works very good for me, except am misisng the object size. I have a workaround for that. But a command that need to scan the whole sim to get something. I agree with dahlia, bad idea.

On 2015-03-13 21:12, Dahlia Trimble wrote:
Some initial thoughts

Why not a function that returns a uuid for a name? Actually this could be done with a sensor now. No need to duplicate llGetObjectDetails functionality, just call it once you get the uuid.

Such a function would need to scan every object in the region for a name match, similar to how a sensor would do it. This can put a lot of load on the simulator and could tie up internal data structures until the scan completes, possibly preventing other more critical code from executing. If such functionality was added, it would likely need to be throttled to prevent abuse and/or use events to return results similar to sensors now. Perhaps another approach might be to get rid of the sensor distance limit, or relax it in favor of some other penalty such as a script delay if a further distance is requested. This would, however, deviate from the SL API documented behavior and as such would probably need to go into a os* function.

Sorry, I don't accept the argument that it reduces code complexity, it only moves the complexity into the simulator code. Script event patterns are quite common and well understood by the community and have the advantage that, when used properly in place of other patterns (loops, etc), help the simulator run better.