I have used an FQDN everywhere in Sanctuary's configuration, for many years
now. Basically, the rule of thumb has been that you either have to use IP
addresses everywhere, or use an FQDN everywhere, because OpenSim does string
comparisons in places where you might expect an IP address to get resolved
first, except that it doesn't. In other words, in a comparison, it will, for
example, not consider 65.78.40.167 to be the same as sanctuary.homelinux.org,
even though they are equivalent.

I do not, however, do split DNS, so I can't speak to that. I do run my grid
behind a firewall, with no issues, though.

-ste

Sent from my iPhone