Strictly speaking it's up to the container (fancy word for 'the social
site') if they want to allow an app to access the viewer information and
under what conditions.

you can always check in your gadget and try to request permission if you
can't access the viewer info by doing something like:

if ( ! opensocial.hasPermission(opensocial.Permission.VIEWER) ) {
   opensocial.requestPermission(opensocial.Permission.VIEWER, "some reason",
callbackFunction);
}