I don't think GFC has any 'user joined site' hooks at the moment, so that,
as far as i can think of right now, limits your options to:

1) check for the fcauth cookie and then do a db lookup
2) check for a custom cookie in javascript, if none is set, set it in JS and
do a ajax call to your server (-> goto step one)

#1 has the obvious load problem, and #2 will still be triggered more often
then you'd like because people could be using different computers/browsers,
still it would be a bit more optimal then #1 so seems the best choice

You could also take a completely different approach and do a @owner @friends
REStful call to GFC using your site's oauth keys and compare that friend
list with your local db and the diff between the two are the people who
joined / left your site. For that option you can use one of the OpenSocial
client libraries:
http://blog.opensocial.org/2008/12/opensocial-now-friends-with-php-java.html