On Sat, Jul 09, 2005 at 09:51:17PM -0700, Sunil wrote:
> # roleadd -u 0 -o -g 0 -G 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,12 -d / -s /bin/pfksh
            ^^^^^^^

There's your problem - you can't have a role and a user with the same UID.

If you want to make root a role, then follow the (trivial) procedure for
doing so from the manuals (Search docs.sun.com for "make root a rule")

> it makes correct entries in user_attr, but roles command refuses to
> acknowledge the presence of role. roledel deletes it fine. '-u 0 -o' to
> roleadd command doesn't make any difference to the situation, that was

Are you sure, because I can only reproduce what you're seeing when -u 0
is passed? Without that it works for me as expected.

There's probably a bug (or at least an RFE) here somewhere in that it
still really shouldn't act like it is, but the real fault is that you're
trying to do something which isn't allowed.

  Scott.