Shawn Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 7/14/05, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > The main features of GNU tar is compliance problems.
> > I recommend to avoid GNU tar whereever possible.
> >
> > You cannot replace /usr/bin/tar with a program that does not implement
> > the features os /usr/bin/tar without creating hard to track down problems.
>
> Could "star", be used as a replacement for Solaris tar program without
> causing *any* incompatibilities? Since you so graciously released it
> under the CDDL, it seems like it would be idea as a replacement. I
> certainly find it much faster then GNU tar, and faster than Solaris
> tar.

Star provides a 99% compatible interface if you call star as "tar" or "suntar".

Star parses command line args in a way that is as compatible with Sun tar
as possible. Note that GNU tar has a lot of peculiarities that result in
"unexpected behavior" as a result from usign GNU getopt.

Star is missing the following features from Sun tar:

-D      Star always treats size changes as a warning.

-e      Star includes an interface to ignore specific errors, but
        it does not allow to abort on error.

-k size Star implements multivolume archives in a different way.

-n      Star cannot do this kind of optimization as it includes
        a piece of shared memory that implements a FIFO for general
        speedup.

-q      Star always extracts to the end of the archive.

-X      Star implements this feature in a different way

-@      Sun's implementation is not used from my knowledge as
        there is no usage definition for extended attribute files.
        The way Sun did implement this feature is not apropriate
        for our time as it is based on POSIX.1-1988 extensions instead
        of POSIX.1-2001 extension.

Star cannot read or write the Sun proprietary ACL archive format.
Star uses it's own POSIX.1-2001 based portable ACL format.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]                (uni)
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]        (work) Blog: http://schily.blogspot.com/