Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> If long options are present, then people will use them and if people use them,
> they are not POSIX compliant anymore.

Who or what is "not POSIX compliant"? The people? :-)

But even if you are talking about scripts, this is not correct. A script
that invokes a utility using a long option can very well be a "conforming
POSIX application using extensions" if the non-standard requirement is
documented. Long options are usually consistent extensions because they
cannot occur in the standard itself; their occurrence in implementations
is only discouraged, but not prohibited by the standard.

I personally rather dislike long options too. But again, it is not
acceptable to misrepresent the standard.

        Gunnar