>On Jul 25, 2005, at 2:36 AM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
>>> They're shipping ksh93, which is open source.  Solaris includes ksh88
>>> (g I believe), which is not.  We'd love to just upgrade, but they're
>>> not 100% compatible.
>>
>> We can certainly ship ksh 93 as /bin/ksh93.
>>
>> It would be nice if we could somehow qualify the differences and
>> have a single binary which detects how it is invoked so that the
>> compatible
>> extensions are available to ksh users.
>
>Why does it have to be 100% compatible?  That is a serious question.
>What breaks so bad that not having access to the source is considered
>a viable solution?

Well, it certainly needs to be for a "Solaris" release.

The problem with shells is that scripts are written so there's a body
of code which may depend on this behaviour.

We'd love to replace /bin/sh also, but ...

>We must have a reasonable plan for progressing from closed binaries
>to open source.  That means there will be compatibility risks and
>we must live with that fact -- staying put in a land of 100% backwards
>compatibility is death.  We can address those risks by installing the
>current open source versions ASAP and addressing backwards-compatibility
>issues as they are discovered and determined to be worth addressing.

Absolutely; but if we can replace /bin/ksh with a dual mode binary which
can do both.

>If there is a serious compatibility issue, then Solaris can replace
>the new executables with ones that are 100% backwards-compatible.
>There is no reason for OpenSolaris to be so hobbled.

Depends on whether OpenSolaris sees 100% (backward) compatibility as a
constraint or just a goal.

I think some in the community see it more as a constraint; and they also
see that as one of Solaris' selling points.   But others may differ.

Casper