On Thursday 11 August 2005 23:40, W. Wayne Liauh wrote:
> WHy not a Ferrari or something better supported by SOlaris?
>
> I went through several Sun's blogs that I am familiar with, but couldn't
> find details of how well Ferrari is supported by Solaris.  Perhaps someone
> in the know could provide more info?  Or lead me to where I can find such?
> Thanks.

Well, while the Ferrari is supported, the pieces needed to really make it work
are not released in full yet. Casper released some stuff on his blog not long
ago, but it doesn't include all the pieces.

I don't think Rich's Q was very applicable, most all laptops are in the same
boat, and most run Solaris quite well.

> BTW, I sensed that no one here seems to like HP, & that animosity seems to
> extend to HP's x86 systems.

Not completely correct. I hate their laptops, but some of their servers are
fine. The laptops are klunky, IMO. There is a page on the HP website of the
systems that are supported on Solaris x86, all of which are server class
systems in the x86 space.

> I don't claim to be an HP expert, but my experience with HP is, it a
> company whose right hand doesn't know/care what its left hand is doing.  On
> their PC side, HP is obsessed with trying to beat Dell.  If Solaris can
> help HP sell more of their Turion64 based notebooks, something tells me
> that they will be very interested. This message posted from opensolaris.org

I haven't seen one of their Turion laptops yet, and Bruce Riddle installed
Solaris to a EM64T laptop, which barely mentioned on the HP website that it
had the chip in it...go figure...

--

Alan DuBoff - Sun Microsystems
Solaris x86 Engineering - Sun on Sun is the way of the future!