On 8/15/05, Glynn Foster <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> > I don't know much about build environments in the RPM world, but don't
> > development teams generally base their shared build environments on the
> > rpmbuild tool and repositories of RPM spec files?
>
> I would imagine they share their stuff on just the SRPMs [1] - since
> that by their nature contains the original source, extra sources,
> various patches, and the spec file to build it all.
>

> Glynn
>
> [1] At least if their development process isn't open - Fedora and
>     OpenSuSE [among others] may well now share their patches and a
>     repository of spec files.

RedHat has shared their source rpms for a very long time now. Whatever
was required to rebuild a package and get an equivalent binary for
RedHat systems, whether updated or what originally shipped has been
available for as long as I can remember. In my opinion, they've always
been the most open with their distribution sources, and is one of the
reasons why there are so many packages out there available for their
distribtuions as well as distributions that have been created based
off their work.

--
Shawn Walker, Software and Systems Analyst
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - http://binarycrusader.blogspot.com/