But getting back to the main point: I don't think we're ever going
    to agree on SW licensing philosophy, but I don't think there's any
    way that OpenSolaris can be icensed under the GPL.  The need and/or
    desire to link with 3rd party code that may or may not be open source
    prevents it.

That is not a real obstacle.  It could be licensed under a
GPL-compatible license, and still permit linking with whatever else
they wish, including non-free software.  As an extreme example,
the revised BSD license is GPL-compatible and permits linking
with absolutely anything.

They could use a disjunctive license GPL|CDDL if they want.