On 8/23/05, Alan Coopersmith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Matt Ingenthron wrote:
> > It occurs to me that the term "gatekeeper" is really more from Sun's
> > teamware source control legacy and could carry a negative connotation to
> > someone in the community who is not (or only loosely) familiar with the
> > term.
>
> I've never worked in a consolidation with a formal gatekeeper role, but my
> understanding from the interaction I've had with consolidations that do, is
> that it's more of a release engineer or release manager role that many open
> and closed source products have - grunt work, not leadership.   For instance,
> ON in Solaris has separate gatekeepers and technical leads.   The gatekeepers
> are busy maintaining the source trees in whatever code management system is
> used, sysadmin'ing the source servers and build machines, etc.   Choosing a
> gatekeeper is not about who can make the best decisions about where a project
> is going, but more about who can run the machines and CMS that will host the
> project.

this isn't about grunt work, its about who controls the gate, and sun
endorsing this person and his project above the rest of the others.
By giving Steven the nod to be the leader it gives his other project a
boost as well, this seems to be a conflict of interest for him to take
this on.

If this was a simple project, Sun would of kept it secret and plodded
along as it always has, now they have choosen to get Solairs Freeware
star power in Steve C. In hopes of revitalizing its companion disk.
When really it should let it die and let the existing communities
seems like a perfect place to cut personel that is what Sun continues
to do. Or let new Freeware communites, ones  from the linux world come
in, such as portaris get a foot hold and meet the needs the new
Solaris users that are comming in from Linux.

James Dickens
uadmin.blogspot.com
.