The only thing that worked for me is not using an UTF-8 locale. I know it is ugly but that has accents WITHOUT input mode window

Hope that helps, Alf

Javier O. Augusto wrote:

Alexander,

Thank you for your extremely valuable tip. I tried the gconf thingie on
the URL you provided but didn't work out. One thing that did work was
adding:

export XIM="htt"
export GTK_IM_MODULE=iiim
export XMODIFIERS="@im=${XIM}"

to my ~/.dtprofile, _but_ accents went off..
I'm using en_US.UTF-8 and I really need accents [1] for my day to day
work.
So to summarize, I need accents and I do not need the "status area
window" or "input mode selection window". Is that possible?

Thanks and I'm all ears 8-)

Regards,

Jay

[1] = http://docs.sun.com/app/docs/doc/817-2521/6mi67tj51?a=view

begin:vcard
fn;quoted-printable:Alfredo Pe=C3=B1a
n;quoted-printable:Pe=C3=B1a;Alfredo
adr:;;Av. Madero 900 p. 20;Buenos Aires;;C1106ACV;Argentina
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Sun Microsystems
tel;work:+54-11-4317-5843
tel;fax:+54-11-4317-5619