On 10/10/05, Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> I wouldn't say that's completely true, there are actually some folks that
> design data centers around spec numbers. Most of the folks I know do not do
> that, but I do hear there are folks that do that. I 'spose this needs to be
> taken into consideration, since there are some folks that do that. It would
> be interesting to understand why those folks that do design data centers
> based on spec numbers do that.

Agreed. For certain types of software, spec numbers are important. If
the software in question will spend most of its time doing what the
benchmark did. i don't know how realistic that is.

> So, let's just say that Linux is faster is some operations (which it most
> certainly is, even though it's slower in others). Let's say that you need to
> select an OS. Do you select it on the results that point to a faster system
> on Linux for a specific task?

Nope (if i am making a rational decision based on observable evidence
and facts). i deal with (soft) real-time software every single day of
my day job. this does not only include (near) real-time complex math,
it also includes (near) real-time network data tranfers (to the extent
real-time is possible). i keep saying "near" because none of this is
implemented in firmware for some specific processors, it's all
software. For these types of systems, spec numbers become second in
consideration. First and foremost are reliability and predictability
plus cost of development plus cost of maintenance (too many buzzwords
already). The operating system in question must have a 100% reliable
threads implementation, a 100% reliable filesystem implementation,
documented uptimes measured in hundreds of days, a flat response time
curve under increasing load, 100% binary compatibility when applying
upgrades or patches, clearly observable performance analysis tools,
and a state of the art set of development tools. these are the
foremost considerations. whether or not it came in second on one spec
and first on another spec, that will be noted, but is secondary, and
ultimately becomes the developer's (my) job: make it as fast as
possible, and make it perform to requirements. spending some extra $$$
on four additional CPU's is significantly less expensive than losing
several USD $MM because of a crash in the middle of the day.

> I'd like to take a step back and concede that Linux is faster at some
> operations. I know Sun's performance group is working to tighten up that very
> gap in those areas. What does this all mean?

sure it is faster on some operations, according to the benchmark. but
the benchmark is just one aspect, in my experience.

--Stefan

--
Stefan Teleman
[EMAIL PROTECTED]