On 11/7/05, Stephen Hahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> * Dennis Clarke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2005-11-07 09:38]:
> > On 11/7/05, Joerg Schilling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > the Subject says it all! :-)
> > >
> > > It would be very helpful if there was at least a binary redistribution
> > > license available for the PKG tools. This does not help the PPC porting
> > > project, but it allows to use Blastwave packages with SchilliX....
> >
> > Even more important, it allows for packages that are built within the
> > framework of the SVR4 spec to be made portable to other distros.
> > While the ISO/IEC 9945-2003 spec provides for a package standard as
> > does the POSIX ( see the Open Group also ) we need an actual
> > implementation that is functional.
> >
> > The pkgadd/pkgtrans/pkgrm tools ( et al ) provide this within Solaris
> > for years and years and people expect them.  They also trust them.
>
>   I will check on our status; I know that we have been through the
>   source files, and closing in on how to get the package tools published
>   (i.e. in one delivery or two, with binaries first).
>
>   - Stephen

    Thank you so very much Stephen.  While I feel that it is possible
to develop other implementations of the various standards we know that
users have long since trusted and scripted the tools from this : (
taken from a build 25 server )

bash-3.00# pkginfo -l SUNWpkgcmdsu
   PKGINST:  SUNWpkgcmdsu
      NAME:  SVr4 packaging commands (usr)
  CATEGORY:  system
      ARCH:  sparc
   VERSION:  11.11.1,REV=2005.10.07.01.27
   BASEDIR:  /
    VENDOR:  Sun Microsystems, Inc.
      DESC:  Solaris 2.x System V Release IV Packaging Commands (usr)
    PSTAMP:  install-bldsp-1120051007012730
  INSTDATE:  Oct 26 2005 03:12
   HOTLINE:  Please contact your local service provider
    STATUS:  completely installed
     FILES:       37 installed pathnames
                   8 shared pathnames
                   2 linked files