Just a small update:

After updating the Compaq Presario S5000V test machine
to 512MB of RAM, this instantly fixed my loading
problems with the latest Nexenta OS with zero major
issues. The entire OS loaded from start to 'finish'
within 10-15 minutes.

A quick note on things I've noticed:
GNOME 'about' reports version 2.12.0, distributor:
GNU_Solaris, and a build date of 09/20/05. Yet, the
release notes mention GNOME 2.12.1 is included.
Several major GNOME desktop apps are still at 2.12.0
and only a few are at 2.12.1.

So, a quick review of GNOME apps reveal:
Gedit 2.12.0
File-roller 2.12.0
Evolution 2.3.7
Eog 2.12.1
GGV 2.12.0
Totem 1.2.0
Dict 2.12.0
Nautilus 2.12.0
gcalctool 5.6.31
Firefox 1.0.6
gnome-games 2.12.0
gstreamer 0.8.11
gucharmap 1.4.4

This can all be done with the simple: 'dpkg -l |more'
or visual confirmation.

I was a bit suprised that the bug reporting tool
brought up Firefox instead of the reporting tool. This
might have needed a last minute tweak.

Now that the Nexenta OS loaded well on a 512MB RAM
configuration, I can say that Nexenta is an excellent
OpenSolaris distro with the GNOME 2.12.x based desktop
environment. The whole system is very fast for each
application loading from the CD and working from
command line (i.e. terminal mode) is a breeze. The
Compaq Presario S5000V seems to have no video problems
with the basic setup. I did notice I didn't have sound
working on the default setup in which I'll review
later.

A few things like Mesa-DRI (better hardware OpenGL
accelerated drivers), includion of the Nvidia Solaris
video driver, better sound device driver support, and
a full refresh of GNOME 2.12.1/.2 as a default desktop
will make this a stellar OpenSolaris distribution for
professional game development, educational, and
corporate environments.

~Ken Mays