Stefan Teleman wrote:

On 11/21/05, Alan DuBoff <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

[snipped...]

Right. But ultimately if we want to really work together, it would be nice if
we had a common set of libraries that everyone could use, and so that we
shouldn't have so many sets of libs floating around our directories.

The fact that you build your own only exemplifies that point, IMO.

i agree 100% with Alan on this.

with one notable exception, i have seen very little in terms of
"working together", although it's been several months since the idea
was brought up.
One of the reasons I see for this proliferation is that each repository expresses dependencies at the package level tying it to a certain naming convention. Thus even though Blastwave and Sunfreeware standardize on SVR4 packaging, they have different name prefixes.

  IMHO a few things are required here:
* A way to express dependency at the software and version level. For example depends on gtk 1.5 rather than something like CSWgtk1. This way any package that provides gtk 1.5 and is available on the path should suffice. RPM already has this via it's provides and requires
     clauses.
* But the above also requires a standard naming convention for the provides and requires
     clauses. Package names can still be different.
* A way to handle dependency conflicts. What if 2 apps require different versions of Gtk 2.x ? Portage has a slot mechanism to handle this case. I haven't yet looked at it in much detail so cannot comment more. This would necessitate some minor duplication only where there is a
     conflict.

Regards,
Moinak.

--Stefan